Monday, November 24, 2008

Korean DMZ


The Korean DMZ : a strip of land that separates and serves as a "buffer zone" for North Korea and South Korea.

Touring the DMZ is a must when you are in Korea, so I decided to take advantage of the opportunity of going with a few coworkers. We had to leave at 6am, so needless to say, we were a little zombie-ish. We took the subway to the USO headquarters and after showing our passports, we sat in a comfy room with a large TV. There were like 40 foreigners in the room as well as Jay Leno on tv, so I thought for a second, am I back in the States?

We took a tour bus up to the DMZ and our tour group was from all over the world. There were people from Germany, France, Sweden, Austria, Australia, Peru, Canada...it was pretty cool. When we were standing near the borderline looking over into North Korea, they told us not to point or make any kind of gestures (the NKoreans were watching our every movement). I always point back at home, so I've had to adjust since being here. BUT of course being me...

I say, "Hey, look there is another NKorean man!" (pointing with index finger) ahh oops!

The weather was rather cold during the tour, but we managed. Our bus tour guide was a Korean man and his English was pretty rough to understand. Our tour group looked puzzled most of the time, ha - it was kind of funny. We just all looked around at each other smiling and trying not to laugh.

a good history lesson on the Korean War and its current status.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Abbey,

Your Uncle Keith here. Reading your story on the DMZ reminded me when I visited there a coupe of years ago. I had a similar experience compred to yours: the tour bus ride with people from lots of places like New Zealand, Australia. And of course I was the lone American.

It was strange seeing signs along the road saying: Warning - Entry Prohibited, Land Mines"

When I was there, it was raining buckets. It gave the No Mans Land an eerie look. I visited the underground tunnel. Did you see that as well? It was really interesting to hear the story of how the North dug the tunnel, how the tunnel was discovered by the South and all the political fallout after the discovery.

You are correct, the DMZ is a place every tourist to SOKO should visit.

Sounds like you are having an awesome experience. We love reading your blogs.

Love,

Keith