Wednesday, October 1, 2008

1st Weekend in Seoul

This past weekend was my first weekend in Seoul.

Saturday: I took the subway about 40 min away to get my medical exam done. I was given very clear directions to ensure I wouldn't get lost. When I got off at my subway stop, I took a look at my map and my surroundings. I wasn't quite sure yet which direction I should go. As I was looking down at my map, I heard "do you know what time it is?" - English words!!! Ha. It was another foreigner, who after giving her the time, insisted on helping me find my way. It was nice of her and it was also nice to see another foreigner.

I found the medical center and went in for the exam. They have you put on a pink robe and slippers. Then, they have you move through like 10 different stations - take your blood, wt/ht, xrays...just about everything. It was like an essembly line and they move you through each station very quickly.

After the exam, I walked over to Insadong, which is a famous road in Seoul with lots of shops and food. I saw many more foreigners here. Since I never see any foreigners out an about near my neighborhood, it was nice to see other English speakers. In fact, while I was waiting for my friend Jess, I sat down next to this American girl (Cassie) and came to find that it was her first week in Skorea as well. Then, my friend Jess arrived and we invited Cassie to come along. I guess you become friends with other foreigners quickly because there are few of us.

We met up with 5 other teachers and ate Indian food for lunch. I thought of my friends Justin, Manny, Leslie, and Alysha because they love Indian food:) Later on, we went to Olympic Park, which is very close to where I live. There was a festival going on so there were LOTS of people - always. We really only saw the entrance to the park before sitting down for some STARBUCKS!! :) It's a bit more expensive than back home, but well worth it.

I'm still having trouble with the food. I'm hoping to get to a Mcdonalds or Burger King soon for a hamburger and fries, ha. I don't even eat fast food at home, but it sounds amazing right now.

Sunday: I went to church south of Seoul with my boss and his wife. The church service was so what I needed! I'm not sure I could survive here or anywhere without worshipping and growing with a body of believers on a weekly basis. The message and worship was in English, so I kind of felt like I was back home. After church, we were invited to a picnic out in the countryside of Korea - SO beautiful!

I will post pictures via facebook soon!
Love you Love you Love you all!

2 comments:

Ryan and Lizz Durbin said...

I love reading this!!! You are going to do amazing things. It's such a small world but we went to dinner tonight with a Korean man, whose hometown in Seoul. We ate at "Cuisine de Seoul" in the middle of Dakar!!! Haha so hilarious - I thought of you! hope you get to love the food more! I miss the taste of American food too, it's weird. anyways, love you!!!

Skryfblok said...

Welcome to Korea...