Saturday, September 27, 2008

"Foreigner!"

I went running again yesterday morning, and I decided to make a right at the Olympic Park entrance instead of a left, as I had done the morning before. As I ran along the path, which is nicely carved out for bikers and runners, I came to a HUGE open space. I had made my way to the Han River, which is the LARGE river that runs through the middle of Seoul. It was a beautiful sight to see a large body of water!

For maybe another mile I ran along the river and it seemed every high school student in Seoul was doing the same. They all had racing numbers on their front but most of them were walking. Ha, so I was a little confused - shouldn't they be running? Anyways, I'm running along and I hear "Foreigner!" then, "Hello girl!".

It was hilarious. Just about every group of kids I ran by spouted some basic English to me -anything from "Hello girl/baby/honey" to "high five!" When I gave a high five they were like " Ahhhh" like I was some important person, ha. Mark told me that many people will want to talk to you just so they can practice their English.

It has been entertaining, that's for sure.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey abbey,
the celebrity thing won't go away the entire time you're there. hopefully, you'll get to take some pictures with teenage boys that think you're the hottest thing on earth. that's what my blond hair and blueish eyes got me with the chinese ladies.
lots to say after reading the posts, but that's the point i decide to make. i'm retarded.
keep the updates coming!
johnny

Veldman Photo said...

Ha... that's so funny! You're a star Ab!

M.M. said...

Hey Ab!
Woohoo...you made it! I am thinking about you everyday and I wish I would have had the courage to do something like this when I was your age. I am loving reading your posts and can't wait to hear about everything. Love you much!!
Aunt Meg

Keli-Jo said...

ha ooh muffy, I laughed thinking of all these people shouting english at ya. and you WOULD high five :):) miss ya much..ill try to call ya later since I missed ya yesterday. xo