I visited a major shopping center called Coex this weekend. It is overwhelmingly large. I definitely had to refer to the map a couple times because I was lost. It is just amazing at the number of people in this city. Seriously, everywhere you go it is teeming of people. I saw so many foreigners this weekend and it's funny because I am slowly forgetting that I am the minority. Although random encounters with curious Koreans remind me that yes, I am a foreigner...
for example:
While shopping at Coex, this Korean girl came up to me and asked if I spoke any Korean. I told her I know very little and so she continued to ask me a few questions, while jotting answers in her notebook. Then she was like picture - points her cell phone at me and click.
or
Today, I went to Emart (Korean Walmart) and I'm looking at the strawberry jam. This Korean guy standing next to me is like "hi" which is pretty much all the English he knew. He insisted on helping me find the things I was looking for and then I was like I think I'm done. He says "you finished?" I say Kamsamnida (thank you), but then see something else I want and run into him again, haha. I was caught. He says " I see you again, we are friends." Ha, so great. He showed me where to check out, which I already knew but Koreans like to be very helpful. I am thankful for that...sometimes, ha jk :)
In moments like these, I am reminded that I am Megook (American). It is interesting though when you start to feel somewhat a part of the culture :)
for example:
While shopping at Coex, this Korean girl came up to me and asked if I spoke any Korean. I told her I know very little and so she continued to ask me a few questions, while jotting answers in her notebook. Then she was like picture - points her cell phone at me and click.
or
Today, I went to Emart (Korean Walmart) and I'm looking at the strawberry jam. This Korean guy standing next to me is like "hi" which is pretty much all the English he knew. He insisted on helping me find the things I was looking for and then I was like I think I'm done. He says "you finished?" I say Kamsamnida (thank you), but then see something else I want and run into him again, haha. I was caught. He says " I see you again, we are friends." Ha, so great. He showed me where to check out, which I already knew but Koreans like to be very helpful. I am thankful for that...sometimes, ha jk :)
In moments like these, I am reminded that I am Megook (American). It is interesting though when you start to feel somewhat a part of the culture :)



No comments:
Post a Comment