Monday, September 21, 2009

End to a Year

I realize I have been home for 3 weeks now, but I thought it would be appropriate to conclude this blog. I had an enjoyable last 2 weeks in Korea. I wish you could have seen me in my final moments walking down my street with four suitcases struggling to make just a few yards. It was actually pretty comical, and I remember wishing that I had a video camera with me to capture the sweat and strain of such a task. Luckily, a taxi driver was just around the corner, and he knew exactly where I needed to go : the airport.

The trip home was a long one, which included a 6 hr layover in Tokyo in which I slept for 3 of those. Overall, it went well, and I was able to sleep about 5hrs on the long 12hr flight.

Since being home, I have seen many family and friends, which has been amazing. I have also enjoyed getting back to a daily diet that I enjoy.

Some have asked me about culture shock and a couple weeks ago, I said - no, it's been an easy transition - wrong wrong. It didn't hit me until week three...REVERSE CULTURE SHOCK : it exits. I found myself restless, stressed, and ultimately filled with anxiety. All of a sudden, I was here in small Wadsworth, not for a vacation...but I live here now. Where are the millions of people??? Why is my schedule so open?? I should be running around doing something productive.

That was my life in Korea and needless to say, life here is nothing like that. I have struggled without having a jam packed schedule. I have struggled without having millions of people around me all of the time. A good word to describe my status - RESTLESS.

Even so, I believe and pray that God will reveal himself during this time of reflection. I have often found myself in the late hours after a long, unfulfilling day - listening to worship, longing for His presence. It is in times like this that I must step back and look at the bigger picture.

is but a breathe...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the US. My children living overseas often discuss how hard it is to come back. I will pray that you can readjust and that the Lord provides direction for your future. I have enjoyed reading your posts in this past year; thanks for taking the time to journal your experiences. God bless you as you start a new adventure here. With love, Lilly Shurance (Ben's mom)

Ryan and Lizz Durbin said...

Hey Ab - praying for you and hope that you can continue to adjust. I often fear what it will be like going back home after our time here. Just know I'm praying for you! Love you friend!